Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Different Kind of Pedal Cycle

I was thinking earlier this year that I would like to test drive the recumbent tricycle. While on my present trip, I was going to stop by a bike shop in State College, PA, which I found on the Internet that advertises such vehicles. Y'see, I am getting sort of old and I feel a little unstable on the traditional bicycle especially because of the torn cruciform ligment in my right knee. It's really becoming quite arthritic. If I go down ... No, ... WHEN I go down, I certainly don't want to break a leg. Just the other day, I braked my bicycle to a stop and tried to dismount the bike before it fell over, but it did fall over and with me on it. My pants had wrapped around the seat. I only scraped my knee- this time.

So, when I saw this gentleman riding what looked like a tricycle on the C&O canal towpath, I had to stop him and take a closer look. His tricycle is very unique. I would love to have one, but I don't think I could find one on the market. I learned that this tricyle was purchased about 25 years ago at a bike shop in College Park, Maryland. It was designed and made by an individual in England named Bob Jackson. I will have to do a little more research, but at least I have a picture to show of this one-of-a-kind cycle. It would be difficult to describe in words- especially the colors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks like the Opus3 which is made by Altena Bike in The Netherlands
http://www.altena-bike.nl/index.php?id=238

Greetings,
Jack