Friday, August 31, 2007

Another genealogical puzzler

At the end of May this year, I entered into my blog that I found the obituary of Leah Lewis, the former wife of Julius Streich (Strike), the run-a-way and elusive brother of my grandfather, Otto Strike. Leah's obit stated she died in 1929, at Austin, Potter Co, PA, but was buried about 17 miles further southwest in Emporium, Cameron Co. Also, she was survived by her husband, Delbert Lininger. Here, in Newton Cemetery in Emporium, I located the tombstone of Leah, Delbert Lininger, AND his first wife, Carrie, and their daughter, Clara. Unfortunately, there are NO DATES on the stone. I know approximate birth dates from censuses, and I know Leah died 2 Feb 1929, at age 43 yrs, according to her obit. To further compound the mystery, I heard from a still-living granddaughter of Delbert's that daughter, Clara, never married and reportedly commited suicide. Another story is that she was murdered by a member of the family's in-laws. Incidentally, the granddaughter could not recall any of the death dates of persons on this stone.

No comments: