Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Potter County Courthouse in Coudersport PA

Here, I recorded marriages of Lininger and Lentz families. Interesting data to import into my genealogical database ... on the next update. But in the meantime, I can tell you that the courthouse had one volume of deaths and one volume of births which were recorded between 1893 and 1905, inclusive. Like most counties in PA, one must contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics in New Castle, PA, for births after 1905. The cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have their own offices for vital statics.

Marriage records were indexed on computer. In marriage volume 13, no. 1940-07327, I recorded one couple of interest:

RICHARD FRALEY LENTZ, JR, laborer, 21, born in Austin, s/o Richard, of Nenova, PA, and Ruth, nee. VAN WHY, of Gardeau, PA; and MARCIA GRETCHEN LININGER, 18, born Costello, PA, d/o Delbert Lininger, deceased, of Keating, PA, and Leah, nee. LEWIS, deceased, of Phillipsburg, PA; married 2 Sep 1940, by Rev. Harry W. Richey. Consent for bride's marriage given by Mrs. Ada Lininger AUSTIN, sister of the bride and legal guardian.

While I was in town, I also drove by the Potter County Historical Society which is just a block down the street from the courthouse, in front of the post office. Unfortunately, the Society's home office was closed. Hours: Mon and Fri, 1-4 p.m. and Thurs, 6:30-8:30. I hope I can return on another day. It's only a two-day drive ;-(

Potter County is also part of a regional 6 county organization called the Painted Hills Genealogical Society (four counties in NY and two in PA).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Richard Lentz and Gretchen Lininger are my Great Grandparents. Thanks for sharing the info!